On January 19, gun advocacy groups want us to “appreciate guns” with their Gun Appreciation Day. But we would rather appreciate children on that day, declared a National Service Day. Instead of appreciating guns, here are five things you can do to show your appreciation for the children who will grow up to be our future.
1. Devote your Day of Service to a children’s charity or organization.
2. Teach a child a new skill–or ask them to teach you something!
3. Upload a photo of you hugging your child on our Facebook page.
4. Familiarize yourself with what the American Academy of Pediatrics says about firearm safety and children.
5. If you do have a gun at home, take this opportunity to double check that it is stored safely and cannot be accessed by anyone but a responsible adult.
You can also download our Child Appreciation Day press release.